Weeks 19 and 20 — Made to Stick 🕸

Hello, it’s week 19.
Time to read Made to Stick by Dan and Chip Heath

As some have pointed out, the book choices are getting dull. I’ve been searching through the recomendatios on the main site, but we’ve already read most of the hard hitters.

So, I thought we could do something different. If there’s a book you’re really excited about reading, you can add it to the upcoming poll.

Edit: Also, sorry I’ve not been on the ball lately. I’ll do better. :flushed:

In other news. There’s been two major publications from the UN.
Both outline the end of civilisation unless something is done to rapidly decrease climate change.

It’s all very depressing, but I thought we could read something on how to stop that from happening.

The next two books on my list: The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli and The Motivation Manifesto by Brendon Buchard. I have found that my book interests seem to be slightly different from the groups’ interests.

Has anyone read Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown? Would you recommend this book?

So I just posted this on Twitter:

and in no time someone shared a link that basically debunks all those priming effect studies (which are quoted over and over again in countless books, many of which we have read as part of this book club):

That makes Thinking Fast And Slow a lot less exciting, suddenly.

What is exciting, though, is that there is a comment in the thread to this article by Kahneman. He explains his reasoning to include the research in his book. Even though we all err, only some of us are bold enough to say it loudly.

Finally done with the book! Had a bit of catching up to do :slight_smile:

I somehow didn’t like it.

• I found the structure a bit weird. The chapter headlines had me feeling a bit lost at times and the CLINIC chapters were too much work, so I skipped them
  • All examples were hardcore American examples, I didn’t know or care about any of the brands, companies, products, places or people mentioned in the book
  • the author used debunked science (see my link above)
  • the author repeatedly claimed in the examples that food high in fat causes illness and obesity, which is dangerously wrong

I tried to take notes but somehow I manage to read through two entire main chapters without taking a single note – another sign that the book was maybe not structured very well (or not very convincing)