Weeks 11 and 12: Sapiens 🚶🦍🐒

sapiens

By overwhelmingly popular demand, book 6:

Sapiens 🚶🦍🐒

Thisis an Amazon Affiliate link click on it to buy the book.

It’ll take 32 pages a day to polish this one off—but each page has ⅒ fewer words than Thinking Fast and Slow and it’s generally an easier read. So stay positive people :raised_hands:

Also, the votes are in for weeks 13 and 14. We’ll be reading The Design of Everyday Things by Don Norman

pinned #2

made this a banner . It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user. #3

I started to read this book a couple of days ago, and so far it’s been very interesting and easy to read. I borrowed it from the library, but I’m planning to get my own copy for my collection of favorites. If I had the time I might have read this whole thing in a day.

The perspective of this book is refreshing to me. I like how little sugarcoating there is. The damage sapiens have done to the other inhabitants of this planet is pretty horrifying. Especially how early we started to exterminate entire species, we hardly even needed any tools to do it!

I already read this 7 months ago and loved it. My review is here, the book made it into my “Everyone Should Read This”-Shelf:

So I will read the follow-up “Homo Deus” instead :slight_smile:

Would you mind if I started stalking you on Goodreads, @mbrochh ?

@DoomHammer according to Goodreads, we are “Top Friends” now :wink:

That’s super-cute! :green_heart:

Wanted to share a pertinent article that came out yesterday discussing new research that cites the change from hunter-gatherer to farming lifestyle as the reason for a change in mouth shape for Homo Sapiens, giving them the ability to make new sounds like “f” and “v.”

9/10 for me.

I read a lot of this kind of history books (short history of nearly everything from Bill Bryson and so on), but what was special about Sapiens, was the focus on the “why”, whereas the other books concentrated a bit more on “what” things happened. I also had the feeling to recognize teachings of “Better angels of our nature” and “Thinking fast and slow” in the book.

Like @mbrochh wrote in his Goodreads, I also had a hard time thinking about which lessons of Sapiens I could draw for my personal/business life. For me probably:

• be more satisfied (satisfaction is the end of capitalism, and we need to stop capitalism if we don’t want to fuck up the world with climate change and so on)
  • own less (would be motivated to read a book on minimalism now)
  • eat less meat, since we all know how much animals have to suffer for us. But the chapter in the book where he described how early humans mutilated pigs and sheeps noses and so on was horrible for me.
  • biology enables, culture forbids

I agree, this was a lot more interesting to me than a history book of dry facts. My favorite part was how much he challenged the modern norms of consumerism, happiness, food and money. My family has a fairly good income for our area, but we spend less than others on stuff, redecoration, travels and technology. My sister-in-law once commented on how much clothes she would buy if she made the kind of money her brother does… My luxuries are interesting food and books.

removed this banner . It will no longer appear at the top of every page. #12

I found your “eat less meat” takeaway interesting. I had the opposite reaction. This book have underlined the arguments made in other books about low-carb-high-fat or even carnivore diets, so my takeaway now is “eat more meat”. From an evolutionary standpoint, our bodies are designed to eat meat.

The fact that we can’t feed 7 billion people on a proper meat diet, is a whole other problem, of course.

Hey,
yeah, my takeaway comes from the suffering animals, not from a medical viewpoint.

But to see it from a medical viewpoint: I practiced the “paleo” diet for quite some time and had really good results with it. but honestly it was such a big constraint in my daily living because you’re not allowed to eat like 70% of the things that you ate before, you can’t eat out because there is always smth in the meal that isn’t allowed and so on.

low-carb high-fat or low-carb-high-fat-high-fiber is much easier but one also has to consider the science here, since lowcarb is marketed as the nonplusultra for everyone: if you’re fat or been on a very unhealthy diet for a long time you’re probably having already a less sensitive insulin feedback, low carb can re-establish this and will help you loose weight. If you’re not fat or insulin resistant, you can go for carbs too.

so from an evolutionary standpoint, I would refine, our bodies are designed to eat everything, but should do that in a balanced diet and not in extremes :slight_smile:

I still haven’t finished but if I got to summarize this book in a few words and I steal a phrase from Rick and Morty: “Think for yourself, don’t be sheep”

A little off-topic: I’m halfway through Homo Deus now and MAN that book is so good. It has quite some redundancy with Sapiens, but I’m OK with that, good to re-inforce some of the knowledge and the writing style is just so fluid and vibrant, I just want to keep going and read just one more chapter.

I think Homo Deus would suit this book club much better than Sapiens. It asks the very hard questions of what it means to be human and as entrepreneurs, we should have an opinion about that.

I believe those who get hooked will surely try “Homo Deus”. But to understand the possible future it is great to know the past, don’t you think?

Absolutely, that’s why Homo Deus, so far, is exclusively about the past (I’m 53% in).