My journey with this book club, so far

Unbelievable to think that half a year has already passed! Thanks to this book club I have read 21 books to date, so this year is shaping up to be the year with the most books read in my life :slight_smile:

I wrote a little something about my journey so far: https://mbrochh.io/book-club/

Has anyone else published anything? Would love to read about your experiences as well.

Great article, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

I haven’t taken notes but I would like to, I couldn’t read in 2 weeks a book and take notes, and that’s one reason why I want to change pace, either reading less or spending more time on books, depends on what I can fit in my life :stuck_out_tongue:

Like I said in the article, I have an unfair advantage of not owning a car and having a 30-45min commute every day. I also don’t have kids and in Singapore most young people don’t cook at home, so I also don’t really buy groceries (if I do, it takes me just 5 minutes).

So don’t beat yourself up if your lifestyle leaves less room for reading. You are in a tough spot and have to decide which books really add the most value to your life.

Just reading random stuff for half a year, like you did with the book club, is a good start, after that you probably have a long list of other things that piqued your interest and then you just branch out from there.

Oh and my notes are really short. Either 5-10 copy and pasted key paragraphs from the chapter or 1-3 sentences of my own words for a chapter. Doesn’t take a lot of time, but does feel like work, but I guess that’s good. It forces you to think about the chapter and see if you can remember the gist, if not, you have to quickly flip a few pages to bring it back into memory.

I am working on an article regarding reading books that is inspired mostly by this Book Club. I’ll link it once I publish it.

Taking notes and writing reviews is still something that I’d love to do, but haven’t started doing it so far. Like, @mbrochh I prefer taking walks or riding a bike so I have some more time for audiobooks (or generating ideas).

BTW: since we have a local chapter of the book club and we meet bi-weekly to discuss, I have since met many wonderful people that are interested in similar things and we can help each other. Some pretty cool collaborations arose from that as well. I hope this kind of dynamics is something @John had in mind when he started this club. I can only say that it works!